Thursday, August 12, 2010

Ahmedabad, How I miss you!

If there is a place that I can call home outside home, it is ahmedabad. The city never ceases to amaze me, right from the chai waala everyone in the city knows what's happening at the stock market and seem to have invested there. The city a growing one, has the charm of a small city and facilities of a big metro but not it's crowd, traffic and pollution.

The city has given me an identity, a career, good friends and of course a new perspective to life. People have associated with it for the wrong reasons, my personal experience with the city has been far different from perceived reality, it's safest place in which I have ever lived. Where else in India, have i seen families eating out at midnight and women walking safely on the road at the death of the night?

Each one here wants to have his own business, the companies set up here are growing and of course the state is prospering. The high prosperity and increasing opportunities are definitely contributing to the low crime rate.' Only in sun do you realize value of a shade' and now I do! I did find the positive energy contagious.

"Show me your friends and I will tell you who you are" goes an old adage
For a modern Indian city, it can be put as "Show me your auto wallas, I would tell how good a city you are" . Don't be surprised, the auto wallas here run autos on meter and are helpful and cooperative.

Ahmedabad you have spoilt me and I miss you!
Where can i walk at 2 am on roads and claim I am safe. Where would I get autos that run on meter and not fleece me!

Swami Vivekananda said, "Let New India arise- let her arise- out of the peasants' cottage, grasping the plough; out of the huts of fisherman, the cobbler, and the sweeper. Let her spring from the grocer's shop, from the oven of the fritter-seller. Let her emanate from factory, from marts and markets. Let her emerge from groves and forests, from hills and mountains." , only here did I see traces of this new India

8 comments:

Seetharaman Trichur Narayanan Iyer said...

Boxer,
Somebody sure is missing Amdavad eh?
Why not try settling down here? Personally, I too find this city a haven. Great people, good facilities, the best in terms of availability of goods and services....what not?
The only thing this city lacks is a Saravana Bhavan... :-)

IvanHoe said...

danks pa! I am contemplating :) But Dasa is a reasonable alternative, isn't it?

GAYATHRI said...

someones bloggin after 2 yrs!!!WELCOME BACK:)

Nisha said...

You cannot forget the importance of it being a 'dry' state which contributes to many of these things. I am sure if that is removed the safety at 2 am part will be the first thing to disappear

IvanHoe said...

@Gayathri: Thanks d!

@Nisha: I thought that was implied :)

Unknown said...

nice one da...just like a chip of the "IIM" block..all ready to pou out with a book release eh?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
IvanHoe said...

@Lakshmi: You are still caught in the hype and I can tell you not every book sees the light of the day :P